Dr. Kanchan Mondal
Office: ENGR B114
Dr. Mondal’s research is primarily directed towards environmentally benign process development with current focus on carbon dioxide reduction and materials to enable alternative energy generation options. His research encompasses development of a clean coal technology (1 patent pending), development of enhanced reactivity CO2 capture agents, development of novel catalysts for carbon dioxide fixation into chemicals and coal to liquid fuels ( 1 patent disclosure), development of materials for environmental remediation, development of low temperature hydrogenation processes (1 patent), supercritical processing, corrosion resistant materials, nanomaterials, energy systems analysis and other issues related to finding engineering solutions to improve the quality of life.
- Ph.D. Engineering Science (2001), Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL.
- M.S. Mining Engineering and Mineral Processing (1997), Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL.
- B.Tech (Hons) Chemical Engineering (1994), Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India.
- Outstanding Teacher Award, Department of Mechanical Engineering and Energy Processes, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.
- Abner Brenner Award by American Electroplaters and Surface Finishers Society Inc., 2001.
- PI, A Hybrid Reverse Osmosis/Electrodialysis Process For OHD Product Extraction, ICCI DCEO, 2013-2014
- PI, Direct Coal Liquefaction Via Non Catalytic Hydrogenation in Supercritical CO2, ICCI DCEO, 51,000, 2013-2014
- PI, HVOF Thermal Spray TiC/TiB2 Coatings of AUSC Boiler/Turbine Components for Enhanced Corrosion Protection, US DOE, 2012-2015.
- Co-PI, Fischer-Tropsch on Carbon Nanotube Catalyst-Mechanistic and Reactor Design Studies, ICCI/DCEO, 2012-2013.
- PI, Collaborative Research: Experimental and Theoretical Investigation of Catalysis on Carbon Nanotube Surfaces for Liquid Fuel Generation, NSF –CBET, 2011-2014.
- Co-PI, “Sources and Wetting Characteristics of Respirable Coal and Silica Dusts From Selected Interior Coal Basin Mines”, NIOSH/CDC, 2009 -2014.
- Co-PI, “Sources and Wetting Characteristics of Respirable Coal and Silica Dusts From Selected Interior Coal Basin Mines”, ICCI/DCEO, 2009-2013.
- Co-PI, Development of a Simulated Facility for Longwall Shearer Dust Control, ICCI/DCEO, March 1, 2013-February 28, 2014.
AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION AND INTEREST
Energy Production related processes, Energy Efficiency, Catalytic Processes, Gasification Processes, Combustion Processes, Separation Technologies, Fischer Tropsch Synthesis, Hydrogen Storage Materials, Flue Gas Cleanup, Membrane Technology, Photovoltaics, Electrocatalytic Processes, , Environmental Remediation, Nanomaterials, High Density Recording Media, Supercritical Fluid Technology
(over 50 journal and 100 conference proceedings)
Kanchan Mondal, Saikat Talapatra, Mathew Jeffers, Liangbo Liang, Xianfeng Zhang, Ana Laura Elias, Bobby G. Sumpter, Vincent Meunier, Mauricio Terrones, Hydro-deoxygenation of CO on Functionalized Carbon Nanotubes For Liquid Fuels Production, Nature Communications, under review.
K.Mondal, J. Gautam, D. Carron, A. Sims, M. Soti, D. Perry, J. Benoit, “Fischer Tropsch synthesis in compressed CO2”, in Ultraclean Fuels Production and Utilization session in 245th ACS National Meeting, Apr 7 -11, 2013, New Orleans, LA.
K. Mondal, K. Hartman, G. Trifon, M. Bolin, M. Dasari, “Synthesis and Characterization of Yttrium Titanate and Er doped Yttrium Titanate Nanofibers”, MRS Proceedings Online for MRS Spring Conference 2013, Apr 1-4, 2012, San Francisco, CA.
C-Y Tsai, K. Mondal “Synthesis, Characterization and Pseudocapacitive Behaviour of MnOx/CNT Heterostructures”, MRS Proceedings Online for MRS Spring Conference 2013, Apr 1-5, 2013, San Francisco, CA.
Florentino López-Urías, Ana Laura Elias, Saikat Talapatra, Kanchan Mondal, Mathew Jeffers, Liangbo Liang, Xianfeng Zhang, Bobby G. Sumpter, Vincent Meunier, H. Terrones, Mauricio Terrones (06/24-28/2013). Hydrocarbon Chains Formation from Carbon Nanotubes in the Presence of CO and H2 Molecules: A Molecular Dynamics Simulation Study. Presented during the NT13: The Fourteenth International Conference on the Science and Application of Nanotubes (Aalto University, Espoo, Finland), June 24-28, 2013.
J. Mabry, K. Mondal, “Magnesian Calcite Sorbent for Carbon Dioxide Capture” Environmental Technology, 32(1), 2011, 55-67.
N. Siddiqui, J. Don, K. Mondal, A Mahajan, “Development of Bamboo Derived Sorbent for Mercury Removal in Gas Phase”, Environmental Technology, 32(4), 2011, 383-394.
Kanchan Mondal,“CO2 Reduction by Nanoscale Galvanic Couples”, book Chapter in CO2 Reduction Metallurgy, editors, N. R. Neelameggham, R. G. Reddy, ISBN-10: 0-87339-713-4, ISBN-13: 978-0-87339-713-1 John Wiley and Sons, May 2010.
Mondal, K., M. K. Mohanty, A Theroretical Approach to Coal Flotation Washability Correlation, International Journal of Coal Preparation, 29 (3), 140 -151, 2009.
Konieczny, A, K. Mondal, T. Wiltowski, P. Dydo, “Catalyst Development For Thermocatalytic Decomposition of Methane to Hydrogen”, Int J. Hyd. Energy, 33 (1), 264 -272, 2008.
Mondal, K., S. B. Lalvani, “Low Temperature Electrochemical Hydrogenation of Soybean Oil”, J. Food Engr., 84, 526-533, 2008.
Mondal, K., S. B. Lalvani, “Copper-platinum deposition by pulse plating”, Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 153 (6), C393-C399 2006.