Office: Coal Extraction and Utilization Research Center 102
Dr. Tomasz S. Wiltowski received his M.Sc. in chemical engineering from Technical University, Cracow, Poland in 1974 and Ph.D. in catalysis from the Institute of Catalysis and Surface Chemistry, Polish Academy of Sciences in 1984. At present, he is Professor at the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Energy Processes, Associate Director of the Coal Research Center, and Interim Director of the Materials Technology Center of Southern Illinois University at Carbondale, Illinois. His special interest includes coal and biomass gasification, hydrogen production, Fisher-Tropsch synthesis of liquid fuels, and heretogeneous catalysis. He has successfully received 38 research grants from both state and federal agencies and also from industrial partners totaling in over 7.5 million dollars. He has supervised 14 graduate students and 7 post-doctoral students and research scientists. He has also served in the thesis committees of 36 MS and PhD students. He has published 59 articles in peer-reviewed journals and 74 presentations in peer-reviewed and professional conferences. Three patents have been issued to him and he co-authored four books. In recognition of his expertise in his field, he was invited to deliver 19 lectures internationally and 7 lectures in the United States. In terms of teaching at SIU, Dr Wiltowski has taught several courses over fifteen years including subjects such as thermodynamics, heat transfer, mass transfer, alternative energy and fuels, and chemical engineering thermodynamics and kinetics. In 2006, he was the recipient of the two College of Engineering awards, namely the Dean Kent Tempelmeyer Outstanding Scholar Award in recognition of research contribution in the College of Engineering and the Dean Thomas Jefferson Outstanding Teaching Award. Recently, Dr. Wiltowski was named the Distinguished Alumni of the Technical University of Cracow, Poland
- Ph.D., Chemical Engineering (1983), Institute of Catalysis and Surface Chemistry Polish Academy of Sciences, Cracow, Poland.
- M.S., Chemical Engineering (1973), Cracow University of Tech., Cracow, Poland.
- B.S., Chemical Engineering (1972), Cracow University of Tech., Cracow, Poland.
- Juh Wah Chen outstanding Faculty Award, College of Engineering, 2011.
- College Level Outstanding Teaching Award, 2010.
- Member of the International Advisory Committee, International Conference on Advanced Energy Research (ICAER2009), Mumbai, November 2009.
- Member of the International Advisory Committee, International Conference on Nanotechnology in Energy, Mumbai, India, December 2008.
- Named a Distinguished Alumni of the Cracow University of Technology, Cracow, Poland, July 2008.
- Chair session, International Conference on Advanced Energy Research, Mumbai, December 2007.
- College-Level Outstanding Scholar, College of Engineering, SIUC, March 2006.
- Dean Thomas Jefferson Outstanding Teaching Award - College of Engineering, SIUC, February 2006.
- Dean Kent Tempelmeyer Outstanding Scholar Award – College of Engineering, February 2006.
- Research Award – Institute of Catalysis and Surface Chemistry, Polish Academy of Sciences, Krakow, Poland, 1983.
- Research Award (Catalysis in Environmental Research) – Institute of Catalysis and Surface Chemistry, Polish Academy of Sciences, Krakow, Poland, 1980.
- Research Award (Dynamic Properties of Catalytic Surfaces) – Institute of Catalysis and Surface Chemistry, Polish Academy of Sciences, Krakow, Poland, 1983.
- Research Award - Dean of Department of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Cracow University of Technology, Cracow, Poland, 1978.
- Outstanding Ph.D. Student Research Award, 1981.
- Outstanding Senior in Environmental Engineering, 1978.
- Sigma Xi Research Honorary (Southern Illinois University Chapter), 1987.
- PI, “The Effect of Mineral Content and Maceral Composition on Illinois Coal Gasification”, ICCI, April 2011, $141,000.
- Co-PI, “Recycle Integrated Process Design of Superficial FT Synthesis, ICCI, April 2011, $152,516.
AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION AND INTEREST
Coal transformation and characterization, coal gasification, alternative energy sources, hydrogen production from coal, catalytic conversion of hydrocarbons and alcohols to hydrogen, fuel cells, nanomaterials synthesis and characterization, applications of nanomaterials in energy processes.
Wiltowski T, K. Mondal, A. Campen, Novel Concept for Hydrogen and CO2 Separation from Biomass Generation Syngas, 2nd International Symposium on Energy Technology & Strategy, Taiwan, November 2012, Proceeding p. 25.
Wiltowski T., Coal Generated Syngas - Hydrogen Generation and Separation, International Conference on Clean Coal Technology, Taiyuan, September 2012, Proceeding p. 38.
Wiltowski, T., Future of Coal Research, IMI Annual Meeting, Marion, IL, August 21, 2012.
Wiltowski, T., Energy Research: Technological and Scientific Barriers and Opportunities, 1st International Symposium on Energy Technology & Strategy, Taiwan, November 2011, Proceeding p. 12.
Wiltowski, University Research on Coal to Liquids Technology, CEREL National Council for Science and Environment, Golden, CO, November 5, 2010
Rogut J., HemaJ. Siriwardane, M, Steen, T. Wiltowski, Creation of Georeactor Global Scientific Network, 27th Annual Pittsburgh Coal Conference, Istanbul, Turkey, October 11, 2010.
Wiltowski T., D. Dasgupta, Fischer-Tropsch Synthesis of the Liquid Fuels using Fe-Zn-K Catalysts, International Conference on Advances in Energy Research, Mumbai, India, December 9-12, 2009.
Dasgupta D., T. Wiltowski, Enhancing Gas Phase Fischer-Tropsch Synthesis Catalyst Design, 26th Annual Pittsburgh Coal Conference, Pittsburgh, Sep. 20-23, 2009.
Wiltowski T., K. Mondal, Concomitant Production of High Purity Hydrogen and Sequestration Ready Carbon Dioxide from Coal, 26th Annual Pittsburgh Coal Conference, Pittsburgh, Sep. 20-23, 2009.
Wiltowski T., K. Mondal, A. Konieczny, A. Campen, Cyclic operation mode for hydrogen production from coal, International Conference on Coal Science and Technology, Cape Town, South Africa, October 26-29, 2009.
Mondal, K., T. Wiltowski, Steam Driven Coal Gasification in the Presence of Magnetite, International Conference on Coal Science and Technology, Cape Town, South Africa, October 26-29, 2009.
Pan, Y., Liu C., Wiltowski T., Ge Q., Adsorption of CO2 on Al2O3 supported transition metal dimmers: A DFT study, Prep. Pap.-Am. Chem. Soc., Div. Fuel Chem. 54, 451-452, 2009.
Wiltowski, T., A. Campen, D. Dasgupta, A. Konieczny, “Bifunctional Fischer Tropsch Catalysts for User Defined Fischer Tropsch Products”, Novel Reactor Design Session at the 2008 AIChE Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, Nov 16 -21, 2008.
Mondal, K., T. Wiltowski, “Thermodynamic Evaluation of Processes for Hydrogen Production from Coal – Theoretical and Experimental Studies”, Hydrogen Production Economics and Process Design Session at the 2008 AIChE Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, Nov 16 -21, 2008.
Benoit, J., K. Mondal, T. Wiltowski, “Supercritical Phase Fischer Tropsch Synthesis from Coal Derived Syngas”, Alternative Fuels and Enabling Technologies III Session at the 2008 AIChE Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, Nov 16 - 21, 2008.
Mabry, J.C., K. Mondal, T. Wiltowski, “Magnesian Calcite Sorbent for Carbon Dioxide Capture during Hydrogen Production from Fossil Fuels”, High Temperature Materials and Systems for Application to Hydrogen Production at the 2008 AIChE Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, Nov 16 -21, 2008.
Wiltowski T., K. Mondal, Stimulating Energy Research Between SIUC and VSB Through Collaboration and Students Exchange, Czechoslovak Society Of Art and Science World Congress (SVU), Rouzemberok, Slovakia, September 8, 2008.
Wiltowski T., K. Mondal, A. Campen, a Photocatalytic Process for the Conversion of Carbon Dioxide to Methanol, 17th World Hydrogen Energy Conference, Quinsland, Australia, June 2008
Wiltowski T., Swing Approach for Hydrogen Production from Fossil Fuels, EU Commissions Workshop, Institute of Energy, Peten, Netherlands, July 9, 2008.
Wiltowski T., Energy Research: Technological and Scientific Barriers, 2nd International Workshop on Innovation and Advanced Science, Tainan, Taiwan, February 16-19, 2008, Proceedings p. 24.