QEM Program Requirements
QEM Program Requirements (On-Campus)
The program in the thesis option requires a minimum of 30 semester hours of acceptable graduate credit and includes 12 semester hours of quality engineering and management core courses, 12 semester hours of approved elective courses, and the completion of a master’s thesis, consisting of 6 semester hours of thesis (QEM 599) credit.
Within the 30 semester hour requirement, students must complete the 4 following core courses:
- QEM 510-3 Quality Assurance
- QEM 525-3 Six Sigma Black Belt II
- QEM 530-3 Lean Manufacturing II
- QEM 540-3 Reliability Analysis
The remainder of the 30 semester hours can consist of any combination of the following courses:
- QEM 535-3 Service Quality
- QEM545-3 Project Management II
- QEM 550-3 Project Leadership
- QEM 555-3 Human Safety and Risk Management
- QEM 565-3 Management Information Systems
- QEM 570-3 Energy Management Systems
Students not meeting specific course requirements may be required to complete prerequisites from the following list of courses:
Note: If any of these courses have been taken for undergraduate credit, they CANNOT be applied towards graduate credit hours in the QEM degree.
- IT 450-3 Project Management
- IT 465-3 Lean Manufacturing
- IT 470a-3 Six Sigma Green Belt
- IT 470b-3 Six Sigma Green Belt II
- IT 480-3 Six Sigma Black Belt
Each student will select a thesis committee which will include the Committee Chair and two additional faculty members, subject to the approval of the Graduate School. The thesis committee will approve the student's thesis topic and approve the completed thesis.
A student may opt to take additional hours of acceptable graduate level courses in lieu of completing a thesis.