Andrew Gaines is new development officer | Engineering | SIU

Southern Illinois University

CONTACT

SIU.EDU

November 06, 2014, Tim Crosby

${image-alt}

Andrew Gaines is becoming a familiar face around the College of Engineering.

Gaines, a 2007 graduate of the SIU School of Journalism, returned to his alma mater to take over the position of chief development officer last fall. The position is responsible for helping to meet college funding goals through donations and other efforts.

“My first priority is acquainting myself the faculty to find out what the funding priorities are for the college,” Gaines said. “I will also be visiting with as many engineering alums as possible so that I can introduce myself personally.”

Gaines said he hopes to increase contact with college alumni, and to learn how their experiences here shaped them.

“I believe that it is important for alumni to support the College of Engineering, because the programs that truly set us apart are a direct result of the private support that we receive,” he said. “The College of Engineering has been able to attract some of the best students in the area, as well as nationally, through the privately funded scholarships and endowments within the college, and for many of these students college would not have even been a possibility without that support.”

Dean John Warwick said Gaines’ experience will benefit the college greatly.

“Mr. Gaines brings a wealth of relevant fundraising experience to our college, including getting started right here at SIU,” Warwick said. “I am certain that our students, faculty and alumni will enjoy interacting with him.”

Gaines said the college sets itself apart in many ways, including the many opportunities it provides for students to compete and learn in real-world engineering environments.

“It offers something for everyone,” Gaines said. “From the NASA Moonbuggy program to the Lego Engineering Camps for children, we have made a concerted effort to positively impact as many lives as possible in the Southern Illinois region, abroad and even into outer space!