Chair, Professor and Distinguished Teacher, Ph.D., P.E., Fellow ASCE Interim Associate Dean, College of Engineering
Office Phone: 618-536-2368
Building: Engineering A, Room 108
Integration of professional practice and academia, large-scale utilization of fly ash and bottom ash, stabilization of soils, dynamic soil-structure interaction, piles under lateral loads, ground motion amplification in soils, liquefaction of sands, hydraulic conductivity of landfill clay barriers
- CE 320 - Soil Mechanics
- CE 421 - Foundation Design
- CE 423 - Geotechnical Engineering in Professional Practice
- CE 431 - Pavement Design
- CE 521 - Ground Improvement
- CE 523 - Soil Dynamics
- CE 524 - Advanced Soil Testing
- Ph.D. in Civil Engineering, University of Missouri-Rolla, July 1996.
- M.S. in Civil Engineering, University of Missouri-Rolla, December 1993.
- Baccalaureate in Civil Engineering, The Institution of Engineers, India, 1986
- Diploma in Civil Engineering, Thapar Polytechnic, India, 1984
Selected Recent Publications:
- Kolay, P. K., Sulaiman, S., and Kumar, S. (2018), “Freeze-Thaw Durability of Concrete with Natural and Recycled Concrete Aggregates using Air Entraining Admixture”, Advances in Civil Engineering Materials, ASTM (DOI: 10.1520/ACEM20170079).
- Louis, A., Guru, R., Peiravi, M., Mohanty, M., Ma, X., Kumar, S., and Liu, J. (2018). “Characterization of Southern Illinois Water Treatment Residues for Sustainable Applications,” Journal of Sustainable Use of the Environment and Resources (DOI:10.3390/su10051374).
- Jha, P. and Kumar, S. (2017). “A simplified approach to predict neutral plane and estimate drag forces on drilled shafts resulting from deformation in soil caused by a heavily loaded adjacent shallow foundation using Isodefers,” Intl. Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, Taylor and Francis (Lead Author Ph.D. Student) DOI 10.1080/19386362.2017.1288354.
Honors and Awards:
Prize for Excellence in the Practice of Geotechnical Engineering, SP Foundation, 2010
Best Paper Award, ASCE, Journal of Leadership and Management in Engineering, July 2007; Paper Title “Engineers Learn Soft Skills the Hard Way: Planting the Seed of Leadership in Engineering Classes.”
University-Level Excellence through Commitment Outstanding Teacher Award (2006)