Assistant Professor, Ph.D.
Office Phone: 618-453-7006
Building: Engineering: B, Room 116
- Nanomaterials for water treatment and reuse
- Impacts of nanomaterials on aquatic and soil ecosystems
- Phytoremediation of contaminated soil and groundwater
- Renewable energy production using bioelectrochemical systems
- CE 301: Introduction to Sustainability
- CE 310: Introduction to Environmental Engineering
- CE 418: Water and Wastewater Treatment
- CE 419: Advanced Water and Wastewater Treatment
- CE 511: Nanotechnology and Subsurface Remediation
- CE 514: Environmental Engineering Chemistry
- Ph.D., Environmental Engineering, University of Houston, 2014
- M.S., Environmental Engineering, University of Houston, 2010
- M.S., Environmental Engineering, Donghua University, 2006
- B.S., Environmental Engineering, Taiyuan University of Technology, 2003
- Liu J., Williams P.C., Geisler-Lee J., Fakharifar M., Peiravi M., Chen D., Lightfoot D.A., Gemeinhardt M.E., Goodson B.M. (2018). Impact of wastewater effluent containing aged nanoparticles and other components on biological activities of the soil microbiome, Arabidopsis plants, and earthworms. Environmental Research. 164: 197-203.
- Liu J., Vipulanandan C., Yang M. (2018). Biosurfactant production from used vegetable oil in the anode chamber of a microbial electrosynthesizing fuel cell. Waste and Biomass Valorization. pp 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12649-018-0331-9.
- Ackah L.A., Guru R., Peiravi M., Mohanty M., Ma X., Kumar S., Liu J. (2018). Characterization of Southern Illinois water treatment residues for sustainable applications. Sustainability 10(5), 1374.
- Liu J., Zheng L., Weinholtz L., Peiravi M., Wu Y., Chen D. (2017). Removal of PFOA in groundwater by Fe0 and MnO2 nanoparticles under visible light. Journal of Environmental Science and Health, Part A. Toxic/Hazardous Substances and Environmental Engineering. 52(11): 1048-1054.
- Liu J., Vipulanandan C. (2017). Effect of Fe, Ni and Fe/Ni metallic nanoparticles on the power production from used vegetable oil and biosurfactant production in the anode chamber of the microbial fuel cell. Waste Management. 66: 169–177.
- Peiravi M., Mote S.R., Mohanty M.K., Liu J. (2017). Bioelectrochemical treatment of acid mine drainage (AMD) from an abandoned coal mine under aerobic condition. Journal of Hazardous Materials. 333(5): 329-338.
- Vipulanandan C., Krishnamoorti R., Saravanan R., Liu J., Qu Q., Narvaez G., Richardson D., Pappas J. (2014). Development and characterization of smart cement for
real timemonitoring of ultra deepwateroil well cementingapplications. Offshore Technology Conference 25099
- Liu J., Vipulanandan C. (2013). Effects of Au/Fe and Fe nanoparticles on Serratia bacterial growth and production of biosurfactant. Material Science Engineering C: Materials for Biological Applications 33(7): 3909-3915
- Liu J., Vipulanandan C. (2013). Effects of Fe nanoparticles on bacteria growth and biosurfactant production. Journal of Nanoparticle Research. 15: 13 pp
- Liu J., Zhao X.X. (2005). The development of new-style
bioflocculant. Sichuan Environment. 24 (3), 60-63
- Krouse E., Liu J. (2018). Degradation of 1,4-dioxane using polymer coated zero-valent iron nanoparticles. REU Site in Interdisciplinary materials research. Southern Illinois University Carbondale. July 26, 2018.
- Campobasso M., Peiravi M., Xia C.J., Liang Y.N., Liu J. (2018). Effects of Ag and ZnO nanoparticles on microbial communities in Crab Orchard Creek, Illinois. Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Research Enriched Academic Challenge (REACH) 2017/2018 program. April 9, 2018.
- Beltrán D., Liu J. (2017). Effects of Ni, MWCNT, and MWCNT/Ni nanoparticles on power production in microbial fuel cells (MFC). REU Site in Interdisciplinary materials research. Southern Illinois University Carbondale. July 27, 2017.
- Williams P., Geisler-Lee J., Liu J. (2017). Impact of engineered nanomaterials (ENMs) from a wastewater treatment plant on biological activities in micro-ecosystems. Undergraduate Creative Activities and Research Forum, Southern Illinois University. April 3, 2017.
- Liu J., Zheng L., Weinholtz L., Wu Y., Chen D. (2016). Removal of PFOA in groundwater by Fe0 and MnO2 nanoparticles under visible light. Sustainable Nanotechnology Organization Conference, Orlando, FL. Nov. 10.
- Blaylock S., Liu J. (2016). Production of chitosan nanoparticles from fungus mycelia and its application in controlling soybean sudden death syndrome. Interdisciplinary Materials Research, Research Experience for Undergraduates Summer Research Program, July 28, 2016, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL.
- Peiravi M, Liu J. (2016). Acid mine drainage (AMD) treatment with sludge from wastewater treatment plant in a two-chamber microbial fuel cell. 2068, 229th ECS Meeting, San Diego, CA.
- Liu J., Vipulanandan C. (2014). Effect of UH-biosurfactant on hydration heat of nanoparticles modified smart oil well cement. Texas Hurricane Center for Innovative Technology, 2014 Conference.
- Liu J., Vipulanandan C. (2014). Nickel nanoparticles catalyst enhanced
performanceof microbial fuel cell. Center for Innovative Grouting Materials and Technology, 2014 Conference
- Liu J., Vipulanandan C. (2014). Effect of UH-biosurfactant on the smart oil well cement hydration and piezoresistive behavior. Center for Innovative Grouting Materials and Technology, 2014 Conference
- Liu J. (2018). Sustainable water and wastewater treatment using bioelectrochemical systems. Spring 2018 Seminar of Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Southern Illinois University Carbondale. March 9, 2018. Carbondale, IL.
- Aryal R., Peiravi M., Liu J. (2018). Bioelectrochemical treatment of acid mine drainage from an abandoned coal mine. Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge Streams Water Quality Workshop. January 23, 2018. Marion, IL.
- Aryal R., Liu J. (2017). Effect of Ni nanoparticles, MWCNTs/Ni and MWCNTs on the power production and wastewater treatment in the anode chamber of a microbial fuel cell. Annual Mid-American Environmental Engineering Conference, October 07, 2017, Washington University, St. Louis, MO.
- Liu J., Williams P.C., Geisler-Lee J., Fakharifar M., Peiravi M., Chen D., Lightfoot D.A., Gemeinhardt M.E., Goodson B.M. (2017). Impacts of metallic nanoparticles from wastewater treatment plants to biological activities in soil micro-ecosystems. 254th ACS National Meeting. August 20-24, 2017. Washington, DC.
- Liu J. (2017). Multifunctional microbial fuel cell. Advanced Coal and Energy Research Center. Southern Illinois University. SIU Energy Day, April, 5, 2017.
- Peiravi M, Liu J. (2016). Bioelectrochemical treatment of acid mine drainage (AMD) from an abandoned coal mine under aerobic condition. Mid-America Environmental Engineering Conference (
MAEEC), Edwardsville, IL. October 2016.
2014–2015 Water Treatment Specialist, Water Equipment & Treatment Services, Inc, Houston, TX
2008–2014 Research Asst, Dept of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Houston, Houston, TX
2006–2008 Editor, Shanghai Information Ctr for Life Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai, China