Assistant Professor, Ph.D. University of Central Florida, 2015
Office: Engineering E-116
Office Hours: MTW: 1:30-3:30PM, or by appointment
Phone: (618) 453-7642
Lab: Power Systems Design
Dr. Asrari's research interests include (1) power systems operation and planning, (2) power systems protection, (3) power systems optimization, (4) renewable energy systems integration, (5) electricity markets analysis, and (6) smart grid. He started working in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Southern Illinois University as an Assistant Professor since Aug. 2017.
SELECTED PROFESSIONAL SOCIETY MEMBERSHIP
- IEEE Senior Member
SELECTED PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
- Associate Editor of the journal IEEE Access
- Conference Session Co-chair: 2018 IEEE Texas Power & Energy Conference, 2018 North American Power Symposium, 2018 Clemson University Power System Conference
- Conference Session Chair: 2021 IEEE PowerAfrica Conference and 2019 North American Power Symposium
J.L. Utilities Company (Phasor Engineering), Altamonte Springs, Florida
Sept. 2015 – Jul. 2017
Title: Senior Consulting Engineer
- Performed complex electric power systems analysis / design in generation, transmission, distribution, and synchronous / induction machine systems.
- Performed arc flash analysis for different power plants in the state of Florida including Hines Energy Complex and Anclote Plant.
- Performed research to develop elegant, efficient, and effective solutions for power quality aberrations that occur due to system imbalances incurred by system modifications / upgrades.
- Met with clients to present reports and provide elegant engineering solutions to the identified power system challenges.
SELECTED AWARD / CERTIFICATE
- Outstanding Teacher of the Year Award in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, April 2019.
- Operation Mousetrap Certificate for Fulfilling the Requirements of the Technology Entrepreneurship at SIU Research Park, November 2018.
- E. Naderi, S. Pazouki, and A. Asrari, “A remedial action scheme against false data injection cyberattacks in smart transmission systems: application of thyristor controlled series capacitor (TCSC),” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, 2021.
- A. Asrari, M. Ansari, J. Khazaei, and V. Cecchi, “Decentralized outages prevention: a remedial action scheme for cyberattacks targeting market retailers in smart distribution systems,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, 2021.
- A. Asrari, M. Ansari, J. Khazaei, P. Fajri, M. H. Amini, and B. Ramos, "The impacts of a decision making framework on distribution network reconfiguration," IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, 2021.
- A. Asrari, M. Ansari, J. Khazaei, and P. Fajri, “A market framework for decentralized congestion management in smart distribution grids considering collaboration among electric vehicle aggregators”, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 2020.
- M. H. Amini, J. Khazaei, D. Khezrimotlagh, and A. Asrari, “Bilevel adversary-operator cyberattack framework and algorithms for transmission networks in smart grids,” in Optimization, Learning, and Control for Interdependent Complex Networks, Springer, 2020 (Book Chapter).
- S. Anzavi, P. Fajri, A. Asrari, and F. Harirchi, “Realistic and intelligent management of connected storage devices in future smart homes considering energy price tag”, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 2020.
- J. Khazaei, N. D. Hoa, and A. Asrari, ̶Consensus-based demand response of PMSG wind turbines with distributed energy storage considering capability curves”, IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, 2020.
- A. Asrari, M. Mustafa, M. Ansari, and J. Khazaei, “Impedance analysis of virtual synchronous generator-based vector controlled converters for weak AC grid integration”, IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, 2019.
- J. Khazaei, P. Idowu, A. Asrari, A.B. Shafaye, and L. Piyasinghe, “Review of HVDC control in weak AC grids”, Electric Power Systems Research, 2018.
- A. Asrari, T. Wu, and B. Ramos, “A hybrid algorithm for short-term solar power prediction - sunshine state case study”, IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, vol. 8, pp. 582-591, 2017.
- A. Asrari, S. Lotfifard, and M. Ansari, “Reconfiguration of smart distribution systems with time varying loads using parallel computing”, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 7, pp. 2713-2723, 2016.
- A. Asrari, S. Lotfifard, and M. S. Payam, “Pareto dominance-based multi-objective optimization method for distribution network reconfiguration”, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 7, pp. 1401-1410, 2016.
- A. Asrari, T. Wu, and S. Lotfifard, “The impacts of distributed energy sources on distribution network reconfiguration”, IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, vol. 31, pp. 606-613, 2016.
- A. Asrari and B. Ramos, “An intelligent neural network-based short-term wind power forecasting in PJM electricity market”, IEEE Power and Energy Society (PES) General Meeting, Boston, MA, pp. 1-5, 2016. (Selected as the Best Paper)
- A. Asrari, A. Kargarian, M. H. Javidi, M. Monfared, and S. Lotfifard, “A stochastic hybrid method to forecast operating reserve: comparison of fuzzy and classical set theory”, Electric Power Components and Systems, vol. 41, pp. 806- 823, 2013.
- Ghasemi, A. Asrari, M. Zarif, and S. Abdelwahed, “Techno-economic analysis of stand-alone hybrid photovoltaic–diesel–battery systems for rural electrification in eastern part of Iran—A step toward sustainable rural development”, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 28, pp. 456- 462, 2013.
- A. Asrari, A. Ghasemi, and M. H. Javidi, “Economic evaluation of hybrid renewable energy systems for rural electrification in Iran—A case study”, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 16, pp. 3123- 3130, 2012.