VLSI System Research
Director: Dr. Chao Lu
The VLSI System Research Laboratory’s current research focuses on developing low power and high performance VLSI Systems, including: (1) process-device-circuit-system co-design and optimization (such as energy harvesting systems, 3D-IC VLSI system with emerging novel devices), (2) high efficient video coding (H.265) VLSI hardware implementation.
Our research fields have strong connections to industry. Ph.D. graduates in these research topics are popular and highly demanded/highly paid in the US job market. Recent Ph.D. graduates of VLSI areas from our department got jobs in Intel, AMD, LSI Logic, NVIDIA, etc.
I have opening positions in VLSI system research lab for PhD students on exciting projects with funding support. Please contact me with your complete resume if you are interested in working together with me.
Yuanzhi Zhang (PhD Student), fall 2015 – Present
M.S., B.S. Shandong University, China
Research area: H.265 system and VLSI implementation
Zichang Zhang (M.S. Student, and will transfer to PhD. Program in spring 2016), fall 2015 – Present
B.S. Nankai University, China Email: email@example.com
Research area: Device modeling for Topology Insulator Transistors, Device/circuit co-design
 S. Baytok, C. Lu, C. H. Ho, V. Raghunathan, K. Roy, “Effects of Deposition Process on Poly-Si Micro-scale Energy Scavenging Systems”, IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, under review.
 X. Wang, C. Lu, Z. Mao, “Power efficient SRAM design with integrated bit line charge pump”, IEICE Electronics Express, under review.
 X. Wang, C. Lu, Z. Mao, “Charge recycling 8T SRAM design for low voltage robust operation”, International Journal of Electronics and Communications, 2015.
 Q. Huang, Y. Zhang, Z. Ge, Chao Lu, “Refining Wi-Fi Based Indoor Localization with Li-Fi Assisted Model Calibration in Smart Buildings”, International Conference on Computing in Civil and Building Engineering, 2016.
 Q. Huang, Z., C. Lu, “Occupancy Estimation in Smart Buildings using Audio-Processing Techniques” International Conference on Computing in Civil and Building Engineering, 2016.
- ECE423 Digital VLSI Design
- ECE425 VLSI Design and Test Automation
- ECE428 Programmable ASIC Design
- ECE440 CMOS Radio Frequency Integrated Circuit Design I
- ECE446 Electronic Circuit Design
- ECE447 Electronic Devices
- ECE449 Technology for Integrated Circuits
- ECE 516 Implementation of VLSI Systems with HDL
- ECE522 VLSI Circuit Testing
- ECE523 Low-power VLSI Design
- ECE530 Three Dimensional Integration Systems
- ECE531 Mixed-signal VLSI Design
- ECE535 CMOS Radio Frequency Integrated Circuit Design II
- ECE543 Analog VLSI
- ECE548 Advanced Electronic Devices
- ECE550 Nano-electronic Devices
Lab Equipment List
- Linux Workstation: Dell Precision Tower 7910
- Cadence and Synopsys Design Tools
- 4 Desktops (Dell Optiplex 9020 with dual 27-inch monitors)