The fundamental goal of our undergraduate program is to offer a high-quality education, designed to achieve the following specific educational objectives for our students:
- To provide students with the education, the skills and the attributes necessary in such areas as mathematics and basic sciences to allow them to successfully compete for quality jobs in all major areas of mechanical engineering, and in all functions of mechanical engineering employment.
- To provide students with communication skills, extensive design experience, familiarity with modern computer and software tools and the ability to work effectively in a team environment. These will ensure their successful integration in the team-oriented industrial workplace, and the timely advancement of their careers.
- To provide students quality laboratory training and experiences in all major areas of mechanical engineering.
- To provide students the broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global and societal context. To accomplish this objective, the general education component of the curriculum places increased emphasis in the areas of humanities and engineering economics.
- To equip students with lifelong learning skills, which will allow them to successfully adapt to the evolving technologies throughout their professional careers.
- To provide students a solid foundation in basic sciences and engineering which will allow them to successfully pursue graduate studies.
- To provide students the opportunity to experience the unique inter-disciplinary feature of the department which includes the faculty backgrounds and research in the four thrust areas of mechanical systems, thermal sciences, chemical processes, and materials engineering. This is a feature characteristic of the program, designed to provide our graduates with a unique advantage.
- To provide students an opportunity to support the ideal of service by encouraging them to actively participate in the student chapters of relevant professional societies and extra-curricular activities.