Prospective Graduate Students
It’s the three “R’s” that sets Southern Illinois University Carbondale’s graduate program apart from others. Research. Relationships. Reputation. They are all here.
The U.S. News and World Report
Within the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Energy Processes, we offer a Master of Science (M.S.) degree in Mechanical Engineering and a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Engineering Science with a concentration in Mechanical Engineering.
As with other graduate-level programs on campus, we understand that research is the key to academic accomplishment, and our distinguished faculty provides innovative research coupled with a collaborative environment to ensure that you have everything you need.
In Mechanical Engineering and Energy Processes you find:
- Some of the world's pre-eminent experts in their respective fields and an interdisciplinary collaborative environment that sets no limits on innovation.
- State-of-the-art research by faculty whose expertise lies in fundamental areas of mechanical engineering, but who utilize
other facultywith complementary expertise to solve challenging problems in cross-cutting areas of research.
- Several ongoing research projects now funded by federal and state agencies including the U.S. Office of Naval Research, the National Science Foundation (NSF), the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity, Illinois Clean Coal Institute, Honeywell, the Southern Illinois Power Co-operative, and the Department of Energy (DOE).
- Students who gain opportunities to explore and work in several fundamental research areas such as Biomedical Engineering, Energy Processes/ Chemical Engineering, Material Science/ Engineering, Mechanical Design and Systems, and Thermal and Fluid Science/ Engineering.
- Students who pursue a rigorous course of study but who also demonstrate scholarly distinction by participating in several conferences and seminars.
Many types of financial assistance – assistantships, fellowships, scholarships, graduate assistant and teaching assistant positions – are available for those who qualify.
Want to know more? Please contact us at:
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
Mail Code 6603
1230 Lincoln Drive
Carbondale, IL, 62901
Dr. Rasit Koc
Chair, Department of Mechanical Engineering and Energy Process