Professor and Chair
Office: ENGR E27
Dr. Rasit Koc is a Professor and Chair of Mechanical Engineering and Energy Processes (MEEP) Department at SIUC. Before coming to SIUC, Dr. Koc was a Senior Engineer at U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) in Golden, Colorado, where he conducted research in the areas of Processing and Characterization of Advanced Ceramic Materials and Composites. In 1995, his work on synthesizing nano-size SiC materials received R&D 100 award. During his graduate studies, he worked in cooperation with Dr. Harlan U. Anderson, in the areas of ceramic materials for Fuel Cells. Koc has authored/coauthored more than 90 papers and holds 2 U.S. patents. He served as the American Ceramic Society Rocky Mountain Chapter treasurer and he was an associate editor of the journal for 5 years.
- Ph.D. Ceramic Engineering (1989), Missouri University Science and Technology
- M.S. Ceramic Engineering (1986), Missouri University Science and Technology
- B.S. Metallurgical Engineering (1982), Istanbul Technical University
- Sigma Xi Kaplan Research Award, Mar. 1998.
- Federal Laboratory Consortium Award for Excellence in Tech. Transfer, May 1996.
- R&D 100 Award for “Method for Making Silicon Carbide,” July 1995.
- Employee of the Month, Thermal Systems, DOE’s NREL, Jan. 1994.
- DOE-NETL, “HVOF Thermal Spray TiC/TiB2 Coatings of AUSC Boiler/Turbine Components for Enhanced Corrosion Protection”, Co-PI, $299,992, September 2012-Present.
- EaglePicher Technologies, Defense and Space Power Division, “Advanced Materials Processing”, PI, $13,000, September 2011-Present.
AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION AND INTEREST
- Materials for Fuel Cells [(Solid Oxide and PEM Fuel Cells (SOFC)] and sensors.
- Processing and characterization of advanced ceramic materials for structural and electronic applications.
J. R. Mawdsley, D. Carter, X. Wang, S. Niyogi, C. Q. Fan, R. Koc and G. Osterhout, “Composite-coated Aluminum Bipolar Plates for PEM Fuel Cells”, J. of Power Sources, 231, pp.106-112, 2013.
H. Kaga and R. Koc, “Al2O3-TiC Composite Nano-Particles Synthesized from Carbon Coated Precursors”, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 90 (2), pp. 407-411, 2007.
G. A. Swift and R. Koc, “Tungsten Powder from Carbon Coated WO3 Precursors”, J. of Mater. Sci., 36 (4), pp. 803-806, 2001 (Cover).
R. Koc, G. Glatzmaier and J. Sibold, “β-SiC Production by Reacting Silica Gel With Hydrocarbon Gas”, J. of Mater. Sci., Vol. 36, Issue: 4, 995 - 999, 2001.
S. Ozcan and R. Koc, “Microstructure and Electrical Conductivity Studies of (La,Sr)(Cr,Mn,Co)O3”, Developments in Solid Oxide Fuel Cells and Lithium Ion Batteries, 161, pp.13-20, 2012.
R. Koc, C. Meng and G.A. Swift, “Sintering Properties of Submicron TiC Powders From Carbon Coated Titania Precursor”, Journal of Materials, 35 (12), pp. 3131-3141, 2000.
- “Federal grant powers SIUC’s fuel cell project”, Daily Egyptian, page 4, June 29, 2004.
- “Energy-Research”, Perspectives, page 4, SIUC Fall 2004.
- “Submicron Powder Production”, American Ceramic Society Bulletin, Vol. 81, No: 12, 12, December 2002.
- Rasit Koc, “Simple Reaction Yields Pure, Submicrometer SiC, Si3N4”, High-Tech Materials Alert, Alloy, Ceramics and Composites of the Future, John Wiley&Sons, Inc., Vol. 14, No: 7, 5, 1997.
- R. Koc, G. Glatzmaier, K. Scholl, M. Anselmo and J. Sibold, ”Method for Making SiC Powders by Carbon Coating of Silica”, R&D Magazine, Vol. 37, No: 10, 58, 1995.