Office: ENGR B120
Dr. Farhan Chowdhury is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Energy Processes. His research is in the area of Mechanobiology
B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, 2003
M.S. Mechanical Engineering, Tuskegee University, 2006
Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2011
Postdoctoral Fellow, Carl R. Woese Institute for Genomic Biology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The overall objective of our research program is to advance fundamental understanding of mechanotransduction processes in single living cells with single molecule precision. Our transformative research, at the interface of engineering, biology, and single molecule physics, primarily focuses to address the outstanding questions in stem cells and cancer mechanobiology. Specifically, we utilize tension gauge tethers (TGTs), FRET biosensors, smFISH, and high throughput next-generation sequencing techniques to thoroughly investigate outside-in and inside-out signaling in living cells. Our integrated approach enables us to measure dynamic changes occurring at single molecule level under specific mechanical microenvironments. Furthermore, we are driven to translate this knowledge into clinics to improve the quality of life.
Click here to find more about our Mechanobiology Lab
BME 539: Biomechanics I
ME/ BME 485: Cellular and Molecular Biomechanics
ME 472: Materials Selection for Design
ME 475: Machine Design I
- F.Chowdhury, S. Doğanay, B.J. Leslie, R. Singh, K. Amar, B. Talluri, S. Park, N. Wang, T. Ha, "Cdc42-dependent modulation of rigidity sensing and cell spreading in tumor repopulating cells," Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 500 (3), 557-563, 2018.
- F.Chowdhury, I.T.S. Li, T.T.M. Ngo, B.J. Leslie, B.C. Kim, J.E. Sokoloski, E. Weiland, X. Wang, Y.R. Chemla, T.M. Lohman, and T. Ha, "Defining single molecular forces required for Notch activation using nano yoyo," Nano Letters 16 (6), 3892–3897, 2016.
- F.Chowdhury, I.T.S. Li, B.J. Leslie, S. Doğanay, R. Singh, X. Wang, J. Seong et al., “Single molecular force across single integrins dictates cell spreading,” Integrative Biology 7 (10), 1265-1271, 2015.
- F.Chowdhury, S. Na, D. Li, Y.C. Poh, T.S. Tanaka, F. Wang, N. Wang, “Material properties of the cell dictate stress-induced spreading and differentiation in embryonic stem cells,” Nature Materials 9 (1), 82-88, 2010.
- F.Chowdhury, Y. Li, Y.C. Poh, T. Yokohama-Tamaki, N. Wang, T.S. Tanaka, “Soft substrates promote homogeneous self-renewal of embryonic stem cells via downregulating cell-matrix tractions,” PLoS ONE 5 (12), e15655, 2010.