I concur with former Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs John Nicklow, in saying, "SIU Carbondale is a comprehensive research university that offers a vast array of excellent undergraduate and graduate academic programs on one of the most attractive campus settings in the United States."
At SIU we take great pride in serving a wide variety of students, many of whom are first-generation, like myself, while being an outstanding research university. That is why we describe SIU as "a nationally ranked research university with the heart of a small college." Here are a few points about the College of Engineering that differentiate us from other high-quality programs in the United States:
- Living Learning Community (LLC) – Our College served as a leader at SIU in developing a highly supportive living/learning community. Our students uniquely occupy Bailey Hall at Thompson Point which is close to the Engineering complex on campus.
- Registered Student Organizations – Our College has more than 20 active registered student organizations that provide a wide array of forums that are enriching both professionally and socially.
- Just the right size – Our College is large enough to offer a full spectrum of technical coursework while being small enough so our faculty teach undergraduate classes and get to know you.
- Professional Student Advisement – Our College is home to a full-time, professionally staffed, academic advisement office that acts to ensure your timely graduation.
- Research Experiences – Our College faculty members conduct a significant level of externally funded research creating abundant opportunities for undergraduate research experiences.
In summary, we offer our students a challenging and yet highly supportive educational experience in a wonderful setting. I encourage you to investigate further the opportunities that exist throughout our college. Please do not hesitate to contact me or anyone else in our college directly with questions about any of our programs.
John J. Warwick
Dean and Professor
College of Engineering
Southern Illinois University Carbondale