Electrical and Computer Engineering
The faculty in SIU Carbondale’s Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering integrate education and research, serving society as a center for learning and innovation. Through the integration of education and research, they create the environment for training innovators and leaders.
The faculty are engaged in research in the following areas:
- Antennas and propagation, photonics, plasma processing, optical computing
- Embedded control systems, robotics, MEMS, robust and adaptive control
- Biomedical engineering and bioinformatics
- Power systems and power electronics
- Image and signal processing, neural networks, biometrics, bioinformatics
- Wireless communications, detection and estimation theory, stochastic modeling, and sensor networks
- Mixed signal testing, hardware-software co-design, synthesis and verification of digital systems, physical design automation, and VLSI testing
- Big data, cloud computing, computer architecture, embedded systems software and hardware, networks, operating systems, parallel systems and architectures
- Nanoscale devices, quantum processes and phenomena, semiconductor theory, and large-scale scientific computing
Research activities are funded by federal agencies and industry.